Tuesday, January 17, 2012

2005 A&M Quenard Vin de Savoie - Chignin

Consumption Date: 1/17/2012

Notes: Deep golden yellow color.  Moderate aroma with wet chalk and floral notes with a hint of sherry and butterscotch.  Light to medium bodied with mild floral and fruit notes (apples and, perhaps, pear with mild white grape), a chalky (champagne like) minerality, and a distinct sherry-like oxidized note.  Moderate finish with more notes of minerals, flowers, and fruit with a hint of oxidation.

This wine is not what I was expecting.  My previous experience with Savoie wines has been of light, crisp, refreshing wines, but this wine is a bit more serious with deeper aromas and more complexity.  I am enjoying the complexity, but am finding the oxidative qualities to be a bit surprising.  They are very much reminiscent of the Savagnin I had several years ago.  I am wondering if this characteristic was intentional or is simply the result of my having held the wine for too long.  I will certainly aim to try a more recent vintage of this wine at a younger age.  Overall, an enjoyable wine.  A Kermit Lynch selection.  Good to very good value.

No comments:

Post a Comment