Saturday, March 9, 2013

2004 Domaine Gerovassiliou Malagousia (Regional Wine of Epanomi)


Source: Sherry-Lehmann

Consumption Date: 3/8/2013

Notes: Moderate aroma of vanilla and lemon with hints of flowers and chalk and a distinctive ‘meaty’ quality.  Fresh and vibrant with lots of tart lemon fruit at the beginning, leading into a full body of fruit, vanilla, flowers, and chalky minerality.  Relatively short finish of tart lemon, vanilla, and minerals.

This wine surprised me with its quality.  Although not particularly complex, this is the type of white wine I would seriously consider for everyday drinking, as it has many of the flavor components I enjoy in white wine with bracing acidity that keeps it lively.  I am surprised at how fresh this wine tastes nine years after harvest.  I imagine the use of new oak as well as the natural acidity has helped it to survive.  I regret not trying this wine sooner and look forward to the opportunity to try a more recent vintage, as well as additional Greek wines.

Value: Good to very good

No comments:

Post a Comment